Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Polishing a Turd

My husband had this old side table.


Once upon a time, it had been kinda cute.  It was made by a relative of his and he used it in his bachelor pad to seat a plant.  Over time, the plant died, the table made a few moves from house to house and then our kids kept sitting on it and knocking it over.  It went from 'side table' to 'sad table.'

Journey Into Tetanus

What on Earth could I do with such a decrepit--

O hai.

I used wood glue to re-set the loose legs, then painted the whole thing.  I used two Martha Stewart paints-- Polished Silver Specialty Paint for the top and Aquarium Blue Glitter for the legs.  The blue is a little deeper than the legs on SSE, but I dug it and I couldn't resist the glitter.  I still may re-do the legs, since the coverage isn't as opaque as I'd like-- it's streaky and I had to put like a dozen coats on since it basically goes on like glitter glue.  (That's operator error rather than an issue with the medium.  Needless to say, read your labels carefully when you buy supplies!)

Once it dried and cured (couple of days), I used a Sharpie oil-based paint pen in black to draw the geodesia.  I did measure and use a straight-edge to try and achieve Buckminster Fuller goodness, but eventually I just eyeballed it and free-handed it, since the Sharpie was drawing various widths of lines when I dragged it along the edge.  It's not the laser precision of SSE, but I think the end result is pretty cool:

Tomorrow's Children need to quit using me as a chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment