Friday, June 28, 2013

A Foster Home for Inspiration

Over the next few months, I will be documenting my efforts to inject a little EPCOT into the public areas of our house.  I've already started the work, but it's going to take some time to really integrate things, and I think it could be interesting to explain a bit about what I'm doing and why. 

I've been doing some background research and reading and have learned a lot about EPCOT, its origins, its intents and purposes, and what it represented at the time it opened over thirty years ago.  For some of you (I'm hoping some Disney/EPCOT fans will stumble across this blog, even if a couple of years from now), this background will be nothing you haven't heard before, but I'm hoping this information will be fresh for many of you. 

There's a whole complex history and theory behind EPCOT that (I suspect) most casual visitors are unaware of, and it's a great jumping-off point for considerations of design, futurism, society, technology and scientific discovery.  (These are all things that I adore, and I don't know if I adore them because of EPCOT, or adore EPCOT because of them, but either way, it's one giant geosphere of love over here.)  EPCOT urges us to think more deeply about possibility, and to challenge ourselves as thinkers and doers, and explores the essence of what it means to be human. 

If that's not good material for a day-to-day living environment, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment